Not just for Vegans. This carrot cake is a major hit with everyone anytime I make it. It is very moist and wholesome. I usually make a frosting using soy cream cheese, Nature's Balance and powdered sugar.
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups shredded carrots (i like to not shred them too fine so you can see the carrot in the cake)
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup soft tofu
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts (walnuts are good, but any nut will do)
- Grease and flour a 13" X 9" pan.
- Stir together dry ingredients.
- Now add to the dry mixture, the carrots, tofu, oil, and vanilla.
- Beat about 2 to 3 minutes until well mixed.
- Stir in the nuts.
- Bake at 325 degrees for about 50 to 60 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Frost and enjoy.
Excellent recipe! I can't find soft tofu in Buenos Aires so I subbed with orange juice and half the dry ingredients. Thank you!
We did not like it, sorry. I love tofu, but I don't think it worked here. 1 1/2 cups of oil was waaay too much.
I loved this recipe! I didn't have enough carrots so I only used one. Also I used about 1/2-3/4 cup of brown sugar, 3/4 cup of oil and added 3/4 cup of apple sauce. I used one cup white flour and one cup whole grain flour. AND IT WAS AMAZING! Everyone in my family enjoyed it! THANKYOU!