1/1 Photo of Vegan Candy Corn
From the Oct/Nov '09 issue of BUST magazine. A delectable DIY version of a fall favorite!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large saucepan, bring sugar, corn syrup, margarine, and vanilla to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and boil for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- 2In a bowl, sift together powdered sugar, powdered soy milk, and salt (It is important to sift in order to remove the lumps from the powdered sugar).
- 3Add this powder mixture to the boiled sugar mixture, and stir until combined.
- 4Let this dough-like mixture stand for about 15 minutes, or until cool enough to handle (but still slightly warm).
- 5Divide the dough into three equal parts. Knead one piece until smooth. Add several drops of yellow food coloring to the second piece and knead until smooth (I found that it took about 8 drops). Add about 6 drops yellow food coloring and 2 drops red to the third piece (to make orange). Knead until smooth and adjust color as necessary. If the dough starts to get too cool/hard to work with, you can microwave it for 10 seconds.
- 6Roll each piece into ropes of equal length (no thinner than 1/4" or they will break), lay the ropes next to each other (with the orange one in the center) and push together to form one tricolor slab.
- 7Using a sharp knife, make diagonal cuts across the slab, alternating their angle to make triangles from top and bottom. Round the corners of the triangles to make candy corn shapes; they'll be a bit larger than the store-bought kind.
- 8The recipe should yield at least 100 pieces, and they'll stay fresh for quite some time. Store in single layers on parchment paper in an airtight container (if you just throw them in a bowl, they will stick together).
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegan Candy Corn
Serving Size: 1 (7 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 100
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 25.7
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 0.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: