Recipe by tendollarwine
I came up with this one morning and it's become one of my favorite breakfast foods. What's best is making this on a Sunday, having one sandwich, then taking the leftovers to work to reheat in the microwave every morning.
Top Review by Nikoma
This has good potential! This was my first attempt at a tofu egg substitute, the consistency works well BUT I would suggest cutting the tofu into 12 slices (2 per muffin), and doubling the spices. Update: This is much tastier after sitting a while and letting the coating sink in.
- 1 lb firm tofu, drained and sliced into 6 even slabs
- 6 slices vegan sausage patties, pressed thin
- 1⁄2 cup soy flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- vegan margarine
- 6 vegan American cheese (Tofutti singles)
- 6 English muffins, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Fry the sausage on both sides until browned. Place on a plate with paper towels to drain and keep the plate in a warmed oven.
- On another plate, combine the soy flour, garlic powder, turmeric, salt and pepper. Dredge the drained tofu in the mixture and make sure all sides are evenly coated.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan and in 2 batches, fry the coated tofu until browned, about 3 minutes on each side. When they are done, add to the plate of sausages in the oven to drain excess oil and to keep warm.
- Toast and butter the English muffins. Assemble the sandwiches with the sausage on the bottom, tofu in the middle, and slice of soy cheese on the top.