The "better Than Tuna" Vegan Chickpea Salad Sandwich
You wouldn't think tuna salad would be something a person would miss after going vegetarian/vegan, but every now and then, I crave it, and I want something simple - no cooking required! This recipe is perfect for a picnic; quick lunch; or a fast, light dinner. Chickpeas resemble the texture of tuna when you pulse them in a food processor. Spread this on some toasted bread with green leaf lettuce or dip into it with crackers. The best part? It's cholesterol and mercury free and super yummy!
- Ready In:
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup egg-free mayonnaise (I use Vegenaise)
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped walnuts (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 1. After you drain and rinse the chickpeas, place them in a food processor and pulse 10-15 times until you have a flaky mixture.
- 2. Mix the chickpeas with the rest of the ingredients and enjoy!
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I really like this recipe, because it's a great canvas. The flavor and texture is very good (the walnuts are a MUST), and it can be tailored to your own taste. Adding lemon juice and dill can make it more tuna-like, and using hot mustard and pickle relish can make it more like a ham salad. My son wasn't crazy about the carrot, so I might swap it with chopped water chestnuts. I will be using this recipe a lot, so thanks!!1Reply