1 hr 20 mins
I was initially grossed out at the idea of borscht years ago. But after I've learned to love beets, I decided to potchke around the kitchen and make my own as a mish-mash of various recipes, and have it be 100% vegetarian. Vegan, actually. Unlike most borscht recipes, this has no cabbage in it. It was mostly out of laziness and cheapness because I ended up with three large beets and didn't feel like buying anything else. But I love beets now, so it worked!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Shred the beets, onion, and carrot in a food processor.
- 2Bring the vegetable broth to a low boil, then add the oil, sugar, vinegar, bay leaves, and spices.
- 3Add the shredded veggies, loosely cover, and let simmer for 40 minutes or until all or most of the broth has been absorbed.
- 4Remove from the heat and let stand for 40-60 minutes. Serve warm or hot, I think it is pure awesomeness on a fresh Kossar's bialy.
- 5Want to make the creamy variety? Use 2-3 cups of veggie broth or stock instead of the whole quart, and 1-2 cups of unsweetened soy, rice, or almond milk. About 4 cups of liquid are needed.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegan Borscht
Serving Size: 1 (72 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 70.7
- Calories from Fat 32
- Total Fat 3.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 178.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 0.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: