Recipe by TasteTester
The buttery and creamy taste of avocado complements the delicate flavor of veal chops in this recipe. It makes a wonderful dinner to serve for special occasions.
Top Review by The Flying Chef
This is totally delicious!! We loved, loved and loved this one. I did have to make this with scallops of veal as I couldn't get loin chops but either way I think this is just a super recipe. It uses ingredients that we love and they all come together beautifully. Then only change I made was to add some crushed garlic to the onions and mushrooms while cooking but that was just our preference. I loved the creamy sauce with veal and topped with avocado it was just heavenly. A definite winner for us TasteTester.
- 4 loin veal chops, each cut about 3/4-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup minced onion
- 2 tablespoons medium sherry
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce
- 1 ripe avocado (I prefer the small black Haas avocado)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream or 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Slash fat on edge of chops, being careful not to cut into the meat. In a 10-inch skillet with ovensafe handles, cook mushrooms and onions in hot butter over medium heat until tender, 5-10 minutes.
- Arrange chops in skillet. Add sherry, salt and hot pepper sauce; heat to boiling. Cover and bake 1 hour or until meat is fork-tender.
- Cut avocado in half; remove seed and skin. Slice avocado and arrange over chops. Bake, uncovered, 10 minutes for until avocado is heated through. Place chops on a warm platter.
- Blend cornstarch and 1 tablespoon cream until smooth; stir in remaining cream. Gradually stir into hot liquid in skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring until thickened. Stir in dill. Serve chops immediately with sauce.