Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
In ‘Waffles’ by Tara Duggan
Make and share this Vanilla Bean Belgian Waffles With Whipped Cream and Strawberries recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 1 vanilla bean
- 2 pints strawberries, stemmed, cored, and sliced
- 7 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- powdered sugar, for serving
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk over medium heat until bubbles form around the edges.
- Remove from the heat.
- Split the vanilla bean in half lengthwise and use a small knife to scrape the beans into the milk.
- Add the vanilla pod and let stand, 30-60 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, toss the strawberries and 4 T sugar; macerate, stirring occasionally, until the berries soften and form a syrup, 30-60 minutes.
- Preheat a Belgian waffle maker.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer using the whisk attachment, whip the egg whites on med-high speed until soft peaks form, 3 minutes.
- Add the remaining 3 T sugar and whip until firm peaks form, 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the vanilla pod and place the infused milk in a medium bowl.
- Slowly whisk in the egg yolks and butter.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the milk mixture, stirring until just combined.
- Gently fold in the egg whites.
- Ladle the batter into the waffle maker, using ½-3/4 cup batter per batch.
- Spread the batter so that is almost reaches the edges of the waffle maker.
- Cook until the waffles are crisp and browned, 3-4 minutes.
- Using a spatula, remove the waffles from the waffle maker and serve right away, or place on a baking sheet in a single layer in a 200 degree oven for up to 20 minutes before serving.
- Top with the strawberries and whipped cream and dust with powdered sugar.
- To make the whipped cream—in the bowl of a stand mixer using the whisk attachment, whip the cream on med-high speed until soft peaks form, about 3 minutes.
- Add the sugar and vanilla and whip until firmer peaks form, 1-2 minutes.