1 hr 30 mins
Sydney Mike's Note:
This recipe was found on the internet at easteuropeanfood.about.com. Preparation time does not include the times needed for the dough to rise several times.
My Private Note
large l ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 cups milk, warm
- 8 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, melted
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 3/4 lb dried fruit, chopped fine
- 1 1/2 cups light raisins
- 2/3 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 ounces unsalted butter, melted (again)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (again)
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1In a large bowl whisk together yeast, JUST 1/2 cup of the sugar, milk, JUST 3 cups of the flour & salt, combining until smooth, then cover & let stand for 1 hour.
- 2After the 1 hour, add the 4 ounces of melted butter, eggs, another 1/2 cup of sugar & the remaining flour, & knead until smooth & elastic, about 5 minutes.
- 3Add chopped fruits, raisins & nuts & knead until well incorporated, then cover & let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 4In a small container, mix 1/2 cup of sugar with the cinnamon & set aside, then grease two large loaf pans.
- 5Divide dough in half &, on a lightly floured surface, roll each half, one at a time, into a rectangle about 12 inches by 16 inches.
- 6Spread each half with melted butter & the sugar/cinnamon mixture, then roll the dough up lengthwise & tuck in the ends before placing them in the prepared loaf pans.
- 7Cover pans with greased plastic wrap & let rise until doubled.
- 8Preheat oven to 400 degrees F & bake for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 degrees F & bake 50 minutes longer.
- 9Turn loaves out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- 10If desired, the loaves can be served plain, dusted with powdered sugar or drizzled with a vanilla icing.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vaisiu Pyragas -- Fruit Bread (Lithuania)
Serving Size: 1 (88 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 30
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 285.1
- Calories from Fat 69
- Total Fat 7.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 32.5 mg
- Sodium 133.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 13.1 g
- Protein 5.7 g