This recipe has been a family favorite for many years. I made some changes to the original family recipe to enhance the flavor of the finished product.
- 6 large cucumbers (fewer seeds the better)
- 3 large sweet red peppers, seeded and diced
- 3 large green peppers, seeded and diced
- 3 tablespoons pickling salt or 3 tablespoons coarse salt
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 large onion, minced
- 3 stalks celery, chopped fine
- 4 cups white vinegar
- 4 cups granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- Wash and finely chop cucumbers.
- Seed and dice sweet red and green peppers.
- Place chopped cucumbers and peppers in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle over with pickling salt, cover and let sit overnight.
- The next morning, drain off the liquid and discard.
- Finely chop cauliflower, onion and celery and mix in with the cucumbers and peppers.
- Transfer vegetables to a large cooking pot.
- Add vinegar and sugar and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until vegetables are just tender, DO NOT OVERCOOK.
- In a small bowl, mix mustard and turmeric in a half cup of cold water.
- When vegetables are nearly done, mix in mustard mixture and stir until well blended and bring mixture back to just boil.
- Sterilize and prepare canning jars of your choice.
- Fill jars to within 1/4" of the top of the jars.
- Apply lids and screw tops and process according to the method you are most familiar with.
- When jars are sealed and cooled, label and store in a cool, dark place.