Mixed Mustard Pickles
photo by French Tart
- Ready In:
- 4 1⁄2 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons celery seeds
- 4 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 lbs pickling cucumbers, cut into chunks
- 1 1⁄2 lbs small onion, peeled and halved
- 2 cups celery, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 cups carrot sticks
- 1⁄2 lb green beans, whole
- 2 cups sweet peppers, cut into 1 inch squares
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- In a large enamel or stainless pot combine the vinegar, honey, celery seeds, mustard seeds, and turmeric.
- Stir well and over high heat bring to boiling stage.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Return product to the boiling stage.
- Remove from heat.
- Fill hot sterile jars with vegetables.
- Cover with hot liquid, leaving 1/2 inch head space.
- Process for 5 minutes in a boiling water bath canner.
- Makes about 10 pints.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Fantastic! I used all the ingredients except the carrots and the green beans......only because I didn't have any to hand!! An easy and good recipe that I made last week, I let it mature before tasting it today in a cheese and mustard pickle sandwich! I cut the quantity back to one quarter, as the amount would have been too much for the two of us! Made for Preserving Summer in the Photo's Forum and very much enjoyed thanks Di!! FT:-)
I made these today,,,,very disappointed, the pic is NOT how these turn out. The brine is not the nice thick sauce u see in the pic with this recipe. I only used cukes, cauliflower and pearl onions ,(which is the traditional way). The brine amount was way off also it only filled 5 pint jars not 10. I will let these 2 batches sit for 4 to 6 wks which is the usual amount of time to let pickles sit after canning, they need to finish 'pickling' ...i will repost a comment about the taste then.