1/2 Photos of Un-Boiled Chicken
1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Yes, this seems weird. But it DOES work! Try this method of cooking for use in salads or any dish that calls for cooked chicken. It makes moist, flavorful meat -- the flavor isn't all boiled out into the broth, and it doesn't get the sort of carmelized flavor of roasting, which I don't care for in a chicken salad. If you do Once-A-Month Cooking, this is a great way to prepare a lot of chicken for the freezer. The 90 minute cooking time is actually 60 minutes of standing after (approximately) 30 minutes to boil the water twice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Fill a very large pot with water, enough to cover the chicken completely. You want a LOT of water. An 8 quart pot at least is best for ONE chicken or about 3 pounds of parts WITH bones. I do NOT recommend for boneless chicken, as the heat will not be able to penetrate the big pile of meat at the bottom of the pot.).
- 2Do not put the chicken in yet.
- 3Bring to a boil.
- 4Now put in the chicken.
- 5As soon as it STOPS boiling, take out the chicken.
- 6Return the water to a boil, then put the chicken back in and cover tightly.
- 7Turn off the heat but leave the pot on the burner.
- 8Leave it untouched for exactly ONE HOUR.
- 9Remove chicken from water.
- 10Let it cool just enough to handle, then debone your chicken.
- 11I've been making it this way for about 16 years now.
- 12You can use a whole chicken or parts.
- 13The large volume of water is important: I use a 15 quart stock pot, and do 2 chickens at one time.
- 14(then I save the skin& bones up in the freezer until I have a bunch, and use them to make broth).
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Un-Boiled Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (113 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 243.8
- Calories from Fat 153
- Total Fat 17.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 85.0 mg
- Sodium 79.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 21.0 g