Mu Shu Chicken
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This is a very tasty streamlined recipe for Chinese mu shu chicken. It makes a lot. Avoid overcooking the vegetables.
- Ready In:
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 bunch green onion (1 cup chopped)
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 (8 ounce) package cabbage coleslaw mix
- 1⁄2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine or 1/4 cup other wine
- 1⁄4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 (8 ounce) package broccoli coleslaw mix
- 1 cup shredded carrot (optional)
- 8 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- hoisin sauce or plum sauce, to taste
- Heat the peanut and sesame oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet on medium.
- Slice the green onions, using all the whites and enough of the tender green tops to make about 1 cup.
- Immediately add the onions, shredded cabbage mix and mushrooms to the skillet.
- Raise the heat to high and cook to soften vegetables, stirring from time to time.
- Meanwhile, cut the chicken through its width (the short way) into 1/4 inch wide strips, adding strips to the skillet as you slice.
- Mix the cornstarch into the sherry and add it to the skillet along with the soy sauce and garlic.
- Stir well.
- Add the broccoli slaw and carrots (if desired) and stir.
- Continue to stir fry, stirring frequently, about 5 to 7 minutes until the chicken is no longer pink.
- Just before serving, put the tortillas on a plate and microwave, uncovered, 1 minute 30 seconds to warm through.
- To serve, spread hoisin sauce to taste on each tortilla (1/2 to 1 tsp) and spread 1/2 cup filing on each tortilla.
- Roll up, burrito style.
- Serve at once.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Wonderful recipe! So easy and so yummy (and different). It's just the kind I like to collect. Thank you for posting it! I think I'd prefer to use wonton wrappers or at least homemade tortillas instead of store-bought. Also, my favorite Szechuan restaurant's Mu Shu Chicken is sweeter, so I poured and stirred some of the plum sauce directly into it. It was perfect.Reply
see 7 more