I can't think of another recipe with such a favorable ratio of ease of preparation to final result. Guests assume you've studied under a master chef, leaving it up to you to decide whether or not to confess that this refreshing summer soup only took you ten minutes to prepare.
- Peel and seed cucumbers, cut into chunks. Saute' chopped onions and garlic in olive oil in a large pot until golden.
- Add chicken stock, cucumbers and a fistful of peel (for color, to be removed later). Cook on low heat, covered, for 45 minutes.
- Remove cucumber peel, add cream and a pinch of white pepper. Puree in food processor, salt to taste.
- Chill overnight, serve with a sprinkle of fresh chopped chives.
- Needs no thickener, since the pureed cucumber pulp gives it a nice velvety texture.
Ultra good too! Very easy, and great way to get those cucumbers used, just let it chill for a while, and your all set! I used a veggie broth, and a bit of low-fat sour cream - thinned out with a bit of broth, instead of the half/half. Dotted the top with some Tabasco sauce. Thanks for the recipe!
This is really really good. I used 6 very large cucumbers, and about 1.5 large vidalia onions. I used homemade extra strength vegetable broth, and fat free half and half. I could not get this to work in my food processor and instead had to do it in batches in the blender. But it was worth it. Really lovely chilled and we enjoyed it as part of a beach picnic. Thanks so much!
Yes, very impressive and perfect too. Love the touch of chives as a sprinkle. Great soup, terrific summer addition. THANK YOU!