Recipe by Pink Penguin
No curry night would be complete without this classic. If you cant find tandoori paste then mic together 1 tbsp of tomato puree with 3 tbsp garam masala.
Top Review by Bonnie G #2
Ultimate is the right word for this recipe. I've made several Tikka Masala recipes from here (it's one of DH's favs) and this has to be hands down the best. I made it exactly as you posted except I was not sure what tomato passata was; so I just decided it most be like tomato paste and that's what I used. It came out great with just the right amount of heat - not so much that I couldn't eat it, but enough that DH enjoyed it - that's a tough balance, and this one did it. Very authentic flavors from some of the best Indian restuarants we've gone to in the Middle East. Thanks PP, we'll be using this one from now on. Next just have to try making Naan so I can serve it with it. Made for My 3 Chef's Game - 09
- 600 g chicken breasts, diced
- 4 tablespoons full fat natural yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons tandoori curry paste
- 50 g butter
- 2 onions, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 200 ml tomato passata
- 200 ml water
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the chicken in a bowl with the yoghurt & tandoori paste and stir. Marinate for at least 15 minutes, or covered in the overnight in the fridge.
- Preheat the grill to high. Take the chicken out of the marinade(reserving the liquid for later) and spread over a baking sheet. grill for 6 minutes each side until lightly charred.
- Melt the butter in a casserole dish or large frying pan over a low heat and soften the onions for 10 minutes , stirring occasionally until just golden.
- Stir in the garlic, ginger, bay leaves, salt and all the spices.Cook for 1-2 minutes until the spices release their aroma. Stir in the passata, reserved yoghurt marinade and the water.Simmer very gently fro 5 minutes until the sauce thickens until sauce thickens, adding extra water should it get to thick.Stir in the cooked chicken.
- Serve with basmati rice or naan bread.