Prep 30 mins
Cook 12 mins
I pulled this from recipegoldmine.com, posted by Olga. It's originally from Traditional Ukrainian Cookery. I put it here for safe keeping. I will be making these this week for my 6th grade students. If they say they're good, Ill let you know.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon whole milk or 1 tablespoon cream
- 3 egg whites
- 1 1⁄4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup coconut
- Sift the flour with the dry ingredients.
- Cream the butter; add the egg yolks, one at a time, and continue creaming.
- Stir in the milk or cream.
- Add the flour and mix thoroughly. The dough should be light. Chill for easier handling.
- Roll thin and cut into small rounds.
- Prepare the topping by beating the egg whites until stiff; add the sugar gradually, beating constantly. Fold in the walnuts and coconut.
- Place the rounds on a greased baking sheet and top each with the meringue.
- Bake in a moderate oven (350 degrees F) for about 12 minutes, or until delicately browned.