Ukrainian Dried Fruit Compote Uzvar
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 4 ounces dried prunes, pitted
- 4 ounces raisins
- 8 ounces dried apples, slices
- 8 ounces dried pear halves, quarters
- 1 cup honey (clover or wild)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 cloves
- 2 quarts apple cider
- 1 lemon, juice and peel of
- Combine fruit in a large pot and fill with enough cider to cover it by a third or more.
- (The fruit will absorb a lot of liquid.) Add cloves and lemon peel.
- Simmer until the larger pieces are cooked but not falling apart.
- Pour off liquid and cook until reduced by a third.
- To reduced liquid add honey, cinnamon, lemon juice, and fruit.
- Reheat, stirring.
- Taste, and add more lemon juice if needed.
- Serve warm in crystal or clear glass bowls.
- Keeps in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is interesting! To me, the flavor is reminiscent of mincemeat, with the raisins and spices. I do like mincemeat, but think I would like this compote more if it were not quite so sweet. I think the addition of some fresh fruit, such as apples or pears, cooked in this syrup, might make it more appealing to me.