Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
I love the combination of leeks and potatoes, and I love twice-baked potatoes, so this recipe is ideal for me. This is a great presentation, with leeks in the potatoes and garnished with frizzled leeks as well. To make ahead, you can fill the potato skins and chill; then bake for 30 minutes.
- 8 baking potatoes
- 3 leeks, white and light green parts only
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (8 ounce) container cream cheese with chives
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- sour cream (optional)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Pierce potatoes with fork; bake until tender, about 1 hour.
- Chop 2 leeks. Cut remaining leeks into thin strips about 2" long. In nonstick skillet, melt 1 T. butter over medium heat. Add chopped leeks; cook, stirirng, 5 minutes.
- Horizontally cut top 1/3 from each potato. Scoop potato from skins, leaving 1/4"-thick shells. Heat milk and remaining butter until hot; add to potatoes with cheese, salt and pepper. Mash; stir in cooked leeks. Pipe or spoon mixture into potato shells. On baking sheet, bake until golden, 20-25 minutes.
- In nonstick skillet, heat 1/4" oil over medium heat. Add sliced leeks; cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Top potatoes with leeks and, if desired, sour cream.
These were actually much easier to do than I thought they might have been. I used skimmed milk and fat free cream cheese. I think next time I will use a higher fat cream cheese because it broke down a bit too much when doing the mash. That is my problem though and not that of the recipe.We both enjoyed these and I know I will be cooking them again. Made for PAC Fall 2009.
LOVE twice baked potatoes; LOVE leeks: LOVED this recipe! :) One of my great ZWT 5 finds and a recipe I'll be making again and aagain. Apart from adding some minced garlic, I made these exactly to the recipe and wouldn't want to change a thing, except perhaps to add some herbs. One half potato makes a great take-to-work lunch, and reheats well in the microwave. Thanks so much for sharing this fabulous recipe. Made for Ali Baba's Babes for ZWT 5.