Recipe by AniSarit
This is the classic Russian recipe to a fabulous side dish, the cabbage cooks a lot, so that it's flavor is mild and mixed with the other ingredients, very delicious. It's perfect next to chicken or beef.
- 1⁄2 tablespoon vegetable oil (or canola)
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 head green cabbage, shredded
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups sauerkraut (drained)
- 4 ounces tomato paste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons dill, finely diced (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a cast iron or ceramic pot, heat up the oil, and sautee the onions until soft and translucent. Don't brown them.
- Add the shredded cabbage, and on a medium heat, cook for 2-3 minutes, mixing well.
- Add the water, and reduce the heat to small-medium, and continue cooking the cabbage until it's soft, about 30-40 minutes. The cabbage will release it's own water, so you don't need to worry that it will be dried out. Mix every so often, just to be sure, and if it does get dry, go ahead and add just a bit of water more.
- When the cabbage is soft, mix in the drained saurkraut, and cook for 10minutes longer.
- Mix in the tomato paste, salt and pepper. The color should be orange. If you would like to add some dill, this is the time to do so.
- Cook for 5-10min longer, and taste for seasoning.
- Serve hot. Reheats very well in a microwave, and stays fresh in the fridge for 5-7days.