Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
- 1 cup margarine or 1 cup butter
- 2 1⁄2 cups brown sugar (demerara)
- 1 (14 ounce) can Eagle Brand Condensed Milk
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups toasted pecan halves
- dark chocolate dipping chocolate
- Butter heavy saucepan, melt butter or margarine, stir in brown sugar, stir thoroughly, stir in corn syrup stirring thoroughly.
- Gradually add the condensed milk stirring constantly until all sugar dissolves and mixture comes to boiling.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture registers 235°F on candy thermometer.
- Cool and stir in vanilla.
- Caramel should be slightly sticky.
- Toast pecans in a 300°F oven for 15 or 20 minutes.
- Arrange pecans on cookie sheet spoke fashion, four for legs and one for head.
- Drop one teaspoon of caramel mix in center of pecans.
- Melt chocolate wafers and spoon over caramel.
- Turn over and do the other side with chocolate.
This is an awesome recipe!!! I would prefer these turtles over Fannie May, any day! It is a bit time consuming, but the results are fantastic.
The recipe calls for 1 can of condensed milk.... doesnt specify if this is the sweetened type or the plain condensed cooking milk. Since it didnt say "sweetened" I used the plain and it didnt turn out well at all. Please correct this ingredient description.
Awesome recipe! I found this last year when the one I was using wasn't really "authentic" enough for my taste. These to me taste like the real deal. I love them and can't wait to make them again. time consuming yes, but totally worth it.