Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
- 1 cup margarine or 1 cup butter
- 2 1⁄2 cups brown sugar (demerara)
- 1 (14 ounce) can Eagle Brand Condensed Milk
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups toasted pecan halves
- dark chocolate dipping chocolate
- Butter heavy saucepan, melt butter or margarine, stir in brown sugar, stir thoroughly, stir in corn syrup stirring thoroughly.
- Gradually add the condensed milk stirring constantly until all sugar dissolves and mixture comes to boiling.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture registers 235°F on candy thermometer.
- Cool and stir in vanilla.
- Caramel should be slightly sticky.
- Toast pecans in a 300°F oven for 15 or 20 minutes.
- Arrange pecans on cookie sheet spoke fashion, four for legs and one for head.
- Drop one teaspoon of caramel mix in center of pecans.
- Melt chocolate wafers and spoon over caramel.
- Turn over and do the other side with chocolate.
This is an awesome recipe!!! I would prefer these turtles over Fannie May, any day! It is a bit time consuming, but the results are fantastic.
The recipe calls for 1 can of condensed milk.... doesnt specify if this is the sweetened type or the plain condensed cooking milk. Since it didnt say "sweetened" I used the plain and it didnt turn out well at all. Please correct this ingredient description.
Delicious. We made some with dark chocolate dipping chocolate and some with milk chocolate chips. The dark chocolate looked better because it's tempered. But both tasted great. People complained that it made so much caramel but I think the original poster probably was making it easier by using a full can of the condensed milk. We used some of the leftover caramel on apples and out the rest in a buttered glass dish. I'll definitely make it again.