Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a wonderful recipe for borek made in a large dish rather than the individual little rolls. It is great served in squares as a side dish or you can even make a meal out of it with a nice salad, some olives & fresh bread! Borek of all kinds is very popular with everyone in Turkey but it is especially popular during Ramadan time. Time to make doesn't include the resting time in the fridge!
- 7 sheets phyllo pastry
- 2 -3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 2 medium free range eggs
- 1 pinch salt
- 300 g frozen chopped spinach (drained REALLY well!)
- 1⁄3 cup crumbled feta, good quality
- 1 brown onion, grated
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- To make the filling: Fry the onion in the olive oil on a medium heat for a few minutes until a pale golden colour. Add the salt & pepper, followed by the spinache & cook for a further couple of minutes. Remove from the heat & stir in the feta then set aside to cool.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs, olive oil & milk.
- Grease a 2L casserole dish. Place 2 sheets of the phyllo in the bottom of the casserole - the phyllo should cover the bottom & the sides of the casserole. Brush 2-3 tbsp of the eggy mix over the top of the phyllo.
- Take another 2 sheets of phyllo, this time folding them so that they cover the bottom of the casserole only & brush with the eggy mix.
- Spread the spinach & feta filling over the phyllo & level gently with the back of a spoon.
- Cover the filling with another 2 sheets of phyllo, remebering to brush with the eggy mix. Contine layering the phyllo until it is used up. When you have used the last 2 sheets of phyllo, brush with the eggy mix then gently pull up the bottom sheet of phyllo & place it over the top sheet.
- Use the rest of the eggy mix to cover the top of the borek - this is important to stop it from burning.
- Place in the fridge to set for 3 hours then cook in a preheated oven at 1750c / 350f. Bake in the middle of the oven until it is golden brown.
delicious, thanks!!! :)
yum! i substituted some spinach (sorry! it was in my garden) for silverbeet and it was amazing.