Um Safia's Note:
This is a wonderful recipe for borek made in a large dish rather than the individual little rolls. It is great served in squares as a side dish or you can even make a meal out of it with a nice salad, some olives & fresh bread! Borek of all kinds is very popular with everyone in Turkey but it is especially popular during Ramadan time. Time to make doesn't include the resting time in the fridge!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 7 sheets phyllo pastry
- 2 -3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 2 medium free range eggs
- 1 pinch salt
- 1To make the filling: Fry the onion in the olive oil on a medium heat for a few minutes until a pale golden colour. Add the salt & pepper, followed by the spinache & cook for a further couple of minutes. Remove from the heat & stir in the feta then set aside to cool.
- 2In a bowl, whisk the eggs, olive oil & milk.
- 3Grease a 2L casserole dish. Place 2 sheets of the phyllo in the bottom of the casserole - the phyllo should cover the bottom & the sides of the casserole. Brush 2-3 tbsp of the eggy mix over the top of the phyllo.
- 4Take another 2 sheets of phyllo, this time folding them so that they cover the bottom of the casserole only & brush with the eggy mix.
- 5Spread the spinach & feta filling over the phyllo & level gently with the back of a spoon.
- 6Cover the filling with another 2 sheets of phyllo, remebering to brush with the eggy mix. Contine layering the phyllo until it is used up. When you have used the last 2 sheets of phyllo, brush with the eggy mix then gently pull up the bottom sheet of phyllo & place it over the top sheet.
- 7Use the rest of the eggy mix to cover the top of the borek - this is important to stop it from burning.
- 8Place in the fridge to set for 3 hours then cook in a preheated oven at 1750c / 350f. Bake in the middle of the oven until it is golden brown.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Turkish Spinach & Feta Borek
Serving Size: 1 (140 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 301.6
- Calories from Fat 158
- Total Fat 17.6 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 104.7 mg
- Sodium 444.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 11.3 g