Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Turkey Tamale Pie is prepared in a skillet on top of the stove. It will be soft and spoonable is served right away; but if made ahead, it will set and then it can be cut into wedges. Ground beef can be substituted for the turkey. Taken from the Family Circle Cookbook.
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 8 ounces ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 1⁄2 cup black olives, sliced and pitted
- 1⁄2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Combine cornmeal, broth, yogurt and 1/4 tsp salt in small bowl.
- Saute onion in oil in 10-inch skillet over medium heat, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add garlic; cook 30 seconds.
- Crumble turkey into skillet; sprinkle with chili powder, oregano, cumin, remaining 1/4 tsp salt and the pepper.
- Cook, stirring, until no pink remains, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes with their juice, crushing tomatoes with wooden spoon.
- Add corn.
- Bring to boiling.
- Lower heat to simmer.
- Pour two-thirds of yogurt mixture into simmering turkey mixture; stir and simmer 3 minutes. DO NOT LET BOIL.
- Smooth top: scatter 1/4 cup olive slices over top.
- Drizzle remaining yogurt mixture over top; sprinkle with cheese.
- Cover and simmer over very low heat without stirring, for 15 to 20 minutes or until set.
- Sprinkle remaining olives over top.
- Remove from heat.
- Let stand, covered for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot, spooning onto plates, or let cool completely and cut into wedges to serve.
Tasty, picky son thought it quite tasty. Had to sub low-fat sour cream, was also out of olives. I think next time I will sub salsa for half of the tomatoes. Great for healthier eating. This is one of those recipes you can tweak and experiment and it will still taste good. Easy to make and will definitely make again.