Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
An easy recipe that doesn't use those expensive seasoning packets. From "Cooking a la Heart"- Delicious Heart Healthy Recipes from the Mankato Heart Health Program, 1988.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground turkey
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 (6 ounce) can low-sodium tomato paste
- 1 (6 ounce) can water
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 12 taco shells
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- In a large skillet, heat oil.
- Add turkey and chopped onion and saute until meat loses its pink color.
- Add tomato paste, water, cumin, chili powder and garlic powder.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Spoon into taco shells and garnish with cheese.
Made according to the recipe, we thought this was quite bland. I had to make a few adjustments--2 tablespoons chili powder, 1 tsp cumin, and a good shot of both salt and pepper. Didn't care for the mozzarella cheese, so changed that to Mexican blend. With those changes, made a nice quick meal for a busy night. Thanks.