Recipe by nicolelee
This recipe is super yummy, healthy, and easy to make. I use ground turkey, but you can you use ground turkey breast, lean beef, etc. When I'm busy I buy pre diced onions and green peppers. Kids love these too, just don't tell them there's onions!
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 medium onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 1⁄4 ounces taco bell fajita seasoning mix
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 1⁄2 cups medium salsa
- cheddar cheese or mexican cheese
- tostitos bite size tortilla chips
- diced tomato
- sour cream
- shredded lettuce
Directions See How It's Made
- Dice onion and green bell pepper.
- Heat large nonstick pan to medium heat.
- Slice jalapeno pepper down the middle. The seeds and ribs carry the most heat, so remove them to your liking. Mince remaining pepper.
- Add 3 TBS extra virgin olive oil to pan, then add onion, peppers, and crushed red pepper flakes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook about 6 minutes until softened.
- Raise heat to medium high. Add ground turkey to veggies, breaking up with a spatula. Keep flipping turkey, and breaking it up until no longer pink.
- Using spatula, try to move mixture to 1/2 of the pan, letting the fat drip to the other half. Bring pan to sink and use large spoon to remove as much fat as possible.
- Return pan to stove and add taco bell seasoning, water, cumin, paprika, and about 1/2 tsp more salt. Stir until seasonings are spread throughout taco meat.
- Add salsa and stir. Reduce heat to low simmer. Cook 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.
- Place each single serving in microwave safe bowl, add cheese (amount to liking), and microwave until melted (about 1 1/2 minutes).
- Serve with a big bowl of tortilla chips and toppings of your choice.