Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
A different twist from the norm stuffed shells. Healthy and Hearty using eggplant and ground/shredded turkey or chicken. Great recipe to use up Holiday turkey, too.
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon salt (your preference)
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves (your preference)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled & chopped (about 1 lb)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cups ground turkey, cooked (or finely shredded)
- 4 -8 ounces mozzarella cheese
- 1 (12 ounce) package jumbo pasta shells
- In 3 quart saucepan over medium heat, cook tomatoes with liquid, tomato sauce, sugar, salt, oregano , red pepper and 1/4 cup water to boiling. (Can option Italian seasoning for oregano, if preferred).
- Reduce heat to low, simmer uncovered about 20 minutes to blend flavors, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile in a 12" skillet over medium heat, add oil and cook eggplant and onion until tender, about 15 minutes, stirring often.
- Add ground turkey or chicken in eggplant mixture in skillet, half of the cokked tomato sauce and half the cheese; heat through.
- Cook shell macaroni the MINIMUM amount of time as label directs; drain well.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spoon a heaping tablespoon of eggplant mixture into each shell.
- Arrange in a 13 x 9" glass baking dish in single layer.
- Pour remaining tomato sauce over shells, sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Cover dish with foil and bake 20 minutes or until hot and bubby.
I have a nearly identical recipe that uses carrots instead of eggplant and only a can of diced tomatoes but no sauce. Also, I don't add tomato sauce to the meat mixture. My family loves it. I'll give your version a try and see if that is just as good.