Modified from a recipe found in TOH's Light and Tasty, October 2007. The original recipe was sent in by Suzanne of Blythewood, SC. I added more meat and used turkey instead. Also added more veggies. Great with a grilled cheese sammy and a salad for a warm dinner.
- 1 medium onion, chopped (5oz)
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 14 ounces lean turkey kielbasa, halved and thinly sliced
- 6 ounces carrots, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3⁄4 cup dried lentils, rinsed and sorted
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups fresh Baby Spinach
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan coated with non-stick cooking spray, cook and stir onion and celery over medium-high heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the sausage, carrot, and garlic; cook 2-3 minutes longer, or until onion is tender.
- Stir in the broth, lentils, oregano, cumin, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 25-30 minutes, or until vegetables and lentils are tender.
- Stir in tomatoes, Worchestershire sauce, and spinach. Cook until heated through and spinach is wilted.