Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a recipe I came up with on my own after my mom gave me the basics on how she does hers. The leaner the Turkey, the better. I also try to get the Low-Sodium Kidney Beans, Tomatoes & Tomato sauce to cut down on the salt. The habanero pepper is optional if you don't like spicy chili, but I find it a must. I usually just buy a jar of habanero peppers whole & cut that up really fine & throw it in with the seeds & juice & all. I make this every Sunday & put it in plastic containers & freeze. They make a great & easy lunch or dinner when you don't feel like cooking. I usually take mine to work, then set it on my desk until lunchtime, then just microwave it for about 2 minutes.
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb ground turkey
- 4 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package chili seasoning mix
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, run through a garlic press
- 1 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can black olives, sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 habanero pepper, finely chopped (optional)
- cayenne pepper
- brown ground turkey with garlic (run through the garlic press or finely chopped) & chopped onion on Medium to Medium-high heat. Season with cayenne pepper & cumin to taste (optional).
- After turkey is browned through & onion cooked, add drained cans of kidney beans.
- Add canned chopped tomatoes,tomato sauce & chili seasoning. Mix well.
- Add green peppers & olives.
- When all ingredients are mixed well together, add habanero pepper & mix well again.
- Lower heat to low.
- You may add water, but I never do. If you do, I wouldn't recommend more than a half a cup, otherwise you end up with bean soup.
- Cover & simmer on low for at least an hour up to all day.