Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 1 bunch scallion, cut into 4 pieces
- 2 cups fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground turkey
- 1 large egg (or alternative)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups red onions, slices thin
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 head red leaf lettuce
- 4 fresh bakery rolls or 4 hot dog buns
- Prepare grill (or broiler).
- Place scallions in a food processor; pulse until chopped, about 10 pulses.
- Add mushrooms and pulse until chopped; about 10 pulses.
- Add turkey, egg, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, pepper, and 2/3 of the salt; pulse until combined; about 30 seconds.
- Divide mixture into equal parts.
- Shape into burgers.
- Combine red onions with sugar, vinegar, and remaining salt in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Toss thoroughly to combine.
- Set aside to marinate for a minimum of 15 minutes.
- Place burgers on grill or under broiler until golden-brown, about 5 minutes on each side.
- Serve burgers with washed lettuce, marinated red onions, and mayonnaise on a toasted bakery roll.
- If desired, stir some pesto into your favorite mayonnaise to create a pesto mayonnaise spread.