Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Turkey and wild rice casserole with carrots and celery.
- 1 cup of uncooked wild rice, rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups water
- 3 tablespoons margarine or 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped carrot
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 fresh turkey breast, tenderloins (1/2 to 3/4 pound)
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon paprika
- In medium saucepan, combine wild rice, onion, and water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer about 1 hour or until rice is tender and water is absorbed.
- Melt margarine in another medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add carrots and celery; cook 3 minutes.
- Stir in the flour, 1/4 tsp of salt, sage, and pepper.
- Cook until the mixture is bubbly, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add the broth and milk, tiring constantly until the mixture boils and thickens.
- Remove from the heat.
- Heat the oven to 350°F.
- In ungreased 12 x 8-inch 2 quart glass baking dish, combine the cooked rice mixture and sauce mix well.
- Place turkey breast tenderloins over rice.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt, parsley, and paprika; cover with foil and bake at 350°F for 45 to 6o minutes or until the turkey is no longer pink.
- To serve, remove turkey from baking dish; place on cutting board and cut the turkey crosswise into 1/2 inch slices; place the slices over the rice mixture.