Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
It takes a bit of time and effort but it is so well worth it. I generally roast the garlic and shallots the day before. That way it cuts some time of the days preparation. The recipe originated from the Joy of Cooking and I made a few changes. This is an excellent dish to serve with pasta.
- 1 (6 ounce) tuna steaks (lightly grilled or broiled, it should remain a bit pink) or 1 (6 ounce) canitalian canned tuna (drained and flaked)
- 6 small red potatoes
- 1 lb trimmed fresh green beans
- 1⁄2 cup black olives
- 2 tablespoons capers or 2 tablespoons green olives
- 1 head butter lettuce, separated into leaves and washed
- 1 head garlic, top third cut off, remove papery skin
- 2 shallots, papery skin removed
- 10 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- salt and pepper
- Wrap garlic and shallots in foil and roast in an oven at 400°F until soft. Set aside to cool.
- Gently grill or broil tuna if using fresh until some still pink. Set aside to cool.
- Boil potatoes until tender.
- Remove let cool and then cut into 1/2 inch slices.
- In same pot add cut beans and boil until bright green (2-3 minutes).
- When cool cut into bite size pieces.
- When cool enough to handle, squeeze garlic and shallots into a blender and add 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 tablespoon wine vinegar, 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard, thyme and salt and pepper.
- As the machine purees slowly pour in 4 more table spoons of olive oil.
- In a bowl add the flaked tuna, potatoes and green beans; mix well.
- Then add the capers and black olives; mix well.
- Pour in the dressing and-again; mix well.
- Serve salad on top of the lettuce.