Recipe by Tomboy
This is a great favourite in my household. And I have found that even people who generally don't like tuna enjoy this dish. It's sounds unusual I know, but it really is very nice served with crusty bread and a green salad!
Top Review by YnkyGrlDwndr
Good but we weren't wowed by this, rather lacking in seasoning and creamier than we like. Just a bit of seasoning may have made all the difference. Also I may make my usual white sauce rather than this one which adds cottage cheese to the same ingredients, this I would put on top rather than in the layers. Changes I made were grated zuchinni added, diced tomatoes rather than tomatoes and mozzarella instead of tasty.
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (415 g) can tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 (425 g) can tuna, drained
- lasagna noodle, pre-cooked or fresh
- 1 cup tasty cheese, grated
- 30 g butter or 30 g margarine
- 1⁄3 cup plain flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a medium sized saucepan.
- Add garlic and onion and cook til onion is soft.
- Stir in undrained, mashed tomatoes, water, crumbled stock cube and tomato paste.
- Simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and gently stir in Tuna.
- For the sauce: Melt butter in a microwave proof jug.
- Add flour and blend well before adding milk.
- Mix well with a balloon whisk.
- Microwave for 2 minutes on high whisking after the first minute.
- Layer Lasagna noodles, tuna mix and sauce in a casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake 180 degrees celsius for about 25 minutes.