Recipe by Southern Lady
I improved on my mom's basic recipe we ate when I was child and it's now in our monthly rotation cookbook. My husband always goes back for seconds. Freezes well, too. (I didn't find a duplicate posting)
Top Review by Kate57
What I liked about this recipe was the broth and milk to thin the soup; and sauteing the onion and garlic before putting the casserole together. What I would do next time would be to decrease or eliminate the soy sauce. I did use fresh mushrooms and sauted them in with the onions and garlic. And I used a canned 'mushroom soup with roasted garlic' - I think I would have preferred plain mushroom soup. A fun alternative I have used for the cheese and chips on top are cheddar fish crackers.
- 4 cups cooked egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced small
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tuna in water, drained
- 1 (10 ounce) can mushroom soup
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth or 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup frozen green pea
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- lemon pepper
- seasoning salt
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 cups potato chips, crushed
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare Noodles according to package, salting boiling water.
- Saute onion until almost translucent and add garlic cooking for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- In large mixing bowl add prepared noodles, the next 7 ingredients, cooked onions & garlic, season with salt and pepper to your taste.
- Mix until noodles are well coated. If mixture is the slightest dry, add more broth.
- Pour into a lightly sprayed casserole dish.
- Top with cheese and potato chips. Add or decrease cheese and chips to your liking.
- Bake in a preheated 350 oven for 25-30 minutes.