Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
I am submitting this because the kids raved over it, and my daughter had 3 helpings. Go figure. It's pretty easy, too. From Betty Crocker's New Cookbook. Also can be served over toasted bread.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped (1/2 c.)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (3 oz.)
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups skim milk
- 1 1⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 2 (7 ounce) cans tuna, drained
- 1 (2 ounce) jar diced pimentos, drained
- 3 cups hot cooked brown rice
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook green pepper and mushrooms in butter, stirring occasionally, until pepper is crisp-tender.
- Stir in flour, salt and pepper.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until bubbly; remove from heat.
- Stir in milk and broth.
- Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.
- Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Stir in tuna and pimientos; cook until hot.
- Serve over rice.
I have never had "a la king" anything before. This was so easy to make, it had a nice flavor and everyone had seconds. I only used half the amount of butter that the recipe called for. I'll be making this one again! Thanks.
Very good. Doubled and served over spaghetti noodles. Served with green beans.
My son refused to try this at first and then polished off the entire bowl! What I loved about this recipe was that it worked perfectly well even without the bell pepper and the pimento. I added a bit of paprika to make up for it. Its definitely going in the recipe file as a regular menu item... Thank you