Recipe by ellie_
This was delicious as a side with fish (tilapia with peanut-coconut sauce), but I think it will also be wonderful with chicken. Although my non-weight watchers family members enjoyed this too, if you are following the WW flex plan this is 3 points/serving but this is also a Core Food. Recipe source: WW Magazine (January 2008)
Top Review by rpgaymer
I really liked this way of serving quinoa. The papaya was a great addition, despite sounding weird. I toasted my quinoa for about 15 minutes before cooking, which gave the salad a nice nutty flavor. Served with fried shrimp.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 papaya, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange zest, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan bring the water and the next 4 ingredients (quinoa - pepper) to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Fluff the quinoa with a fork and then transfer to a salad bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients (papaya - grated orange peel); toss.