Quinoa Pilaf (Ww 4 Pts)( 5 Pts for WW+)
Source: Anne Lindsay's New Light Cooking. Quinoa has a mild flavor making it a pleasant substitute for rice. It can be served with meats, stir frys or in salads. It's available in many supermarkets and in health food stores
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery (including leaves)
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup quinoa
- 1 1 cup vegetable stock or 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup butternut squash, peeled and diced (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- fresh lemon rind, grated from1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in nonstick pan and cook onion, celery and carrots for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Rinse quinoa with cold water, drain well and add to pan.
- Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add water, bay leaf, lemon rind and juice.
- Add squash, if using.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover then simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is tender.
- Discard bay leaf and stir in peas.
- Season with salt and pepper.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Delicious! Wow, we loved it! I didn't add squash, but other then that followed this exactly. I didn't have any problem with the lemon, maybe my lemon wasn't very strong. I just threw the peas in, and they were perfect~they melted into the hot quinoa, and made them so sweet and good! Great recipe! Loved it! Made for ZWT 72Reply
Upon the recommendation of another reviewer, I reduced the lemon juice by half. The zest and herbs were garnished on top and not stirred into the pilaf. I did add the squash-had some on hand in the freezer and it added some more color. The peas were thawed first at room temperature then stirred in. Stirring in frozen peas they may or may not thaw thoroughly. Very easy! Reviewed for Veg Tag/May.1Reply
This is great. But maybe too lemony. So another time I would omit the lemon juice. I didn't add the squash. I used 1 onion and hot water. Maybe I would use chicken broth to give more flavor. I defrosted the frozen peas in the microwave before adding them. Thanks Dreamer :) Made for Photo tag1Reply
see 1 more