Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
I was out of vanilla pudding to make the shaving cream cake(pineapple delight cake) today so i use banana cream pudding and it was really good. This is what i did...
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box white cake mix
- 1 (12 ounce) can mandarin oranges in juice
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (16 ounce) container Cool Whip
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) box instant banana pudding mix, 4 serving size
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix cake mix, oranges with juice and eggs.
- Beat till well mix around 2 minutes.
- Pour into prepared pan 13 by 9 and spread.
- Bake 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Let cool completely.
- Mix cool whip, pudding and pineapple.
- Spread on cooled cake and refridgerate till ready to serve and any leftovers.
- Can use sugar free coolwhip and sugar free pudding. You might try to mix a ripe banana in with the oranges in the cake and about 1/2 cup coconut in with the frosting. Sounds yummy to me.
This was extremely easy to make, and my family really enjoyed it. It's a good light dessert that's not too sweet, and the little bit I had left was even better as the cake improves upon standing overnight in the refrigerator. I added 1/2 cup flaked coconut to the icing, and the next time that I make it, I will also try adding a 1/2 tsp orange flavoring to the cake mix and mandarin oranges to strengthen the flavor a bit.
Yummy! If I could give this more stars I would. I love that this is the perfect summer cake, not to sweet and not to heavy, plus all the flavors of summer. I did change a few things; I used vanilla pudding instead of banana, as that is all I had on hand, I also added about half a cup of coconut to the frosting, as you suggested and it turned out wonderfully. You however didn't mention a cooking temp so I baked mine for 25 minutes at 350 and it was perfect. I loved that the oranges didn't give it a heavy orange flavor just very subtle, matched beautifully with the rest of the cake. My whole family loved it and couldn't stop raving about it. Thanks so much for posting I will be making this one again soon, lots of potlucks and bbqs left before winter. Leanne