Recipe by JeriBinNC
I love rice cooked with coconut milk, and this dish takes it a step further by adding chicken, too. Throw together a salad, and you've got a complete meal with minimal effort.
Top Review by ChrissyVas80
Wow this was very yummy. I wasn't sure about the pineapple juice or coconut milk in this recipe of how it would turn out. I'm very glad I gave it a shot. There were 0 complaints from hubby. Which means this should have more stars than it does. He's not big on chicken but when he ate this, he LOVED it! The only thing I didn't add was the nuts because I didn't have any. But next time I'll remember to pick some up. Also I added more crushed red peper than called for, next time I'll stick to the amount listed (it had a kick!).Thanks for this Tropical hit!
- 3 -4 1⁄2 lbs chicken pieces
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 2 cups rice, uncooked
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) jar macadamia nuts, toasted and chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle chicken evenly with 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper.
- Brown chicken in hot oil in a large skillet over medium high heat 8-10 minutes on each side. Remove chicken from skillet, reserving 1 tablespoon of drippings in skillet.
- Add butter to skillet, stirring to loosen particles from bottom. Add onion and saute about 4 minutes; add rice and saute 4 minutes; add garlic and saute 1 minute more. Stir in chicken broth, coconut milk, and pineapple juice. Return chicken to skillet and sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer 35 minutes or till rice is tender.
- Uncover, fluff rice with a fork, and let stand 5 minutes before serving. Sprinkle evenly with green onions and nuts. Garnish with fresh pineapple, if desired.