Recipe by Phil Franco
Zuppa di Trippa
Top Review by Antifreesz
This is excellent ! The flavors are mellow and the tripe tender. I grew up having this soup and still make it (my brother calls requesting it several times a year:))I have served this to company and they loved it. Most of the time they don't know what it is or think the tripe is baccala or some type of fish until I explain the difference and they can not believe how delicious this really is
- 2 kg tripe, cleaned and cut in stripes
- 4 big red onions
- 1 celery
- 500 g carrots
- 3 garlic cloves
- 28 ounces peeled tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley
- 3 leaves basil
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Ask your butcher to give you already clean and bleached tripe.
- Rinse it three times under hot water; the last time let the tripe rest in water for 10 minutes, adding 3 tablespoons of white vinegar.
- Cut all vegetables in small cubes and in a large pot cook the tripe alone for three minutes, mixing continuously, then add all the vegetables and spices. Cover with cold water.
- Cook over low flame for about two hours. Serve steaming hot accompanied, if you wish, by polenta, cut into wedges.