Patsas - Greek Tripe Soup
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 10mins
- 1 kg tripe, beef
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 onions, cut in chunks
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 500 g tomatoes, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 4 whole cloves
- fresh ground black pepper
- sea salt
- Cut tripe into small squares or rectangles.
- In a large saucepan, preheat olive oil over medium heat. When hot, sauté onions, garlic, and the tripe.
- Dilute the tomato paste with the red wine and stir until completely blended.
- Add fresh tomatoes to the pan, the tomato paste and wine, and enough water to cover. When it reaches a boil, reduce heat to a simmer.
- Add bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves, and pepper to taste. Simmer for 3 to 3 1/2 hours, adding more (boiling) water as the soup reduces.
- Cooking time will depend on the tripe and the soup:.
- Tripe is done when it pulls apart easily.
- The soup should be thick (not as thick as a stew, but not watery).
- 10 minutes before cooking time is up, add sea salt to taste.
- Serve with red pepper flakes on the side for those who like it hot.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Recently relocated to Queensland, warmer seas for sailing and fishing. Aside from cooking for my family I do cake decorating (mainly wedding cakes) and recently unusual jams - adding spices and herb - and preserves and cheese making