Enjoy these savoury sausages as part of a hearty breakfast, or serve traditional "Bangers 'n Mash" for dinner. Chef’s Incredible Tip: After you thoroughly wash and rinse the sausage casings, soak them in pineapple juice for 24-36 hours (in the fridge) and then rinse them again prior to stuffing them. This process softens the casings and makes them much more tender and palatable!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb ground lean pork
- 1/2 lb lean ground veal or 1/2 lb lamb
- 6 ounces suet
- fresh breadcrumb, made from 3 slices of white bread,including crust
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon mace
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon, rind of
- 1 large egg
- prepared hog casing (can't get sausage casings, shape the sausage mixture into patties instead of link sausages) (optional)
- 1Knead together the pork, veal, fat, and bread.
- 2Stir the salt, pepper, cayenne, nutmeg, mace, thyme, marjoram, sage, onion powder and lemon peel into the egg, and then knead into the meat mixture.
- 3CHEF'S NOTE: At this point, I fry a small sausage patty and taste it so that I can adjust the seasonings, because the recipe so far is fairly mild.
- 4Firmly stuff the mixture into the prepared hog (sausage) casings.
- 5Prick any air pockets with a pin.
- 6Poach, broil, grill, or fry them before serving.
- 7Serve the bangers, drowned in nice thick onion and mushroom gravy, with a heap of mashed potatoes.
- 8The raw sausages can be refrigerated for 3 days, cooked sausages for 1 week.
- 9They can also be frozen (raw, poached, or broiled) for 3 months.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Traditional British Bangers
Serving Size: 1 (43 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 290.8
- Calories from Fat 255
- Total Fat 28.3 g
- Saturated Fat 14.4 g
- Cholesterol 68.6 mg
- Sodium 31.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 7.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: