Traditional Homemade English Oxford Sausages - Oxford Bangers!
- Ready In:
- 450 g lean boneless pork
- 450 g boneless lean veal
- 50 g shredded suet
- 225 g fresh breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 lemon, rind of, grated
- 5 ml freshly grated nutmeg or 5 ml mace
- 15 ml chopped fresh mixed herbs or 5 ml dried herbs
- 5 ml chopped fresh sage
- salt and pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- plain flour, for coating
- Mince or very finely chop the pork and veal. Put the minced meat in a large mixing bowl and add the suet, breadcrumbs, lemon rind, nutmeg and herbs. Mix together and season to taste. Add the lightly beaten egg to the mixture and mix well with a fork until all the ingredients are thoroughly combined and bound together.
- With floured hands, form the mixture into sausage shapes. Coat each sausage in flour, shaking off any excess.
- Cook the sausages under a hot grill, turning frequently, until evenly browned and cooked through.
- Serve the sausages with mashed potatoes and a green vegetable as a main meal, or with grilled bacon and tomatoes for breakfast.
Join The Conversation
What a great low fat sausage...we served ours for dinner topped with onion gravy and alongside Recipe #247918. The sausage held together well and the hint of lemon was fab! I look forward to serving these as part of a big breakfast soon. They have such a subtle flavour they would be great served alongside eggs n toast!