Recipe by mortar&pestle
A proper rice pudding is smooth & creamy with just a hind of spices. Serve it with a spoonful of thick cherry jam or icecream. You can also add more spice or less depending on taste
- 600 ml whole milk
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1⁄2 cup short-grain rice
- 3 tablespoons caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour the milk into a pan and add the vanilla bean pod. Bring to simmering point, then remove from heat, cover and leave to infuse for 1 hour. Preheat the oven to 150°C.
- Put the rice and sugar in an ovenproof dish. Strain the milk over the rice, discarding the vanilla pod Add the spices and stir to mix, then dot the surface with butter.
- Bake uncovered for 2 hours. After about 40 minutes, stir the surface skin into the pudding, and repeat this after a further 40 minutes.
- Allow the pudding to finish cooking for the final 40 minutes without stirring.