Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a simple tossed salad, and I love the fact that the vinaigrette is oil-free. The dressing has a bit of a tang to it, but it is well-balanced by the sweetness of the fruit. I used Golden Delicious apples since they don't turn brown when cut, and romaine lettuce for the greens. I think the greens should be something "sturdy" to hold up to the apples and pineapple. Spinach would also be great! This recipe comes from Del Monte. Edited to note that I have this posted in the vegan category, even though feta cheese is listed in the ingredients because I have made this without cheese, too, and it is also good that way.
- 2 apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups pineapple, cubed
- 1 red onions or 1 other sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons feta cheese, crumbled
- 6 cups salad greens
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sweet-hot mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced finely or 1 clove garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- Whisk together water, vinegar, mustard, garlic, salt, and pepper in a small bowl; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine greens, apples, pineapple, onion, and cheese.
- Pour dressing over the fruit and vegetables and toss gently to coat.
- Serve immediately.
We loved the salad but the dressing was too spicy for me...
This turned out wonderful. I've been searching out different salad recipes to enjoy with the local fish we can get here and this will be one we make again and again. It was really simple and the blackened tilapia we had with it was perfect! I wasn't sure how my family would enjoy the dressing because they are not big honey-mustard fans, but my DH was asking for more! I used white wine vinegar instead of the balsamic but otherwise made no substitutions. Thanks for posting!
Added cayenne to sweet onion mustard. A little too much cayenne resulted in a HOT dressing. Otherwise, the combination was delicious.