1/7 Photos of Tortillas
Charlotte J's Note:
Found this in the May 2003 issue of Parenting.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put flour, salt, and baking powder into a mixing bowl.
- 2Mix the shortening or oil into the flour mixture until it forms pea-size balls.
- 3Add the lukewarm water, a little at a time, until the dough is soft and pliable.
- 4On a floured surface, knead the dough until smooth, for 1 to 2 minutes.
- 5Place in a bowl, cover with a clean dish towel, and let it"rest" for 30 minutes.
- 6Knead dough and form 8 to 10 balls.
- 7Roll them out as thin and round as possible.
- 8Preheat an ungreased griddle or cast-iron frying pan.
- 9Cook tortillas on griddle one at a time, flipping when a bubble forms (less than a minute).
- 10Put cooked tortillas in a plastic bag until ready to serve, to keep them warm and soft.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tortillas
Serving Size: 1 (42 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 170.4
- Calories from Fat 60
- Total Fat 6.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 303.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 3.2 g