Found this in the May 2003 issue of Parenting.
Make and share this Tortillas recipe from Food.com.
- Put flour, salt, and baking powder into a mixing bowl.
- Mix the shortening or oil into the flour mixture until it forms pea-size balls.
- Add the lukewarm water, a little at a time, until the dough is soft and pliable.
- On a floured surface, knead the dough until smooth, for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Place in a bowl, cover with a clean dish towel, and let it"rest" for 30 minutes.
- Knead dough and form 8 to 10 balls.
- Roll them out as thin and round as possible.
- Preheat an ungreased griddle or cast-iron frying pan.
- Cook tortillas on griddle one at a time, flipping when a bubble forms (less than a minute).
- Put cooked tortillas in a plastic bag until ready to serve, to keep them warm and soft.