We enjoyed this simple dish, goes great with salsa and sour cream with a tossed salad Recipe source: Prevention magazine (March 2011)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray baking sheet with Pam.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat and add onion, garlic and green pepper and cook stirring until softened (5 minutes). Stir in cumin and cook another minute.
- Stir in tomatoes, water and chilies and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer, stirring occasionally until thickened (15 minutes). (I also thought it would be great to add 1 can of chopped black olives).
- Brush 1 side of each tortilla with oil and cut into 1 inch strips -- place on baking sheet and bake until crisp (10 minutes). Set aside.
- Reduce oven temp to 350-degrees F.
- Layer half of the tortilla strips in baking dish and top with half of the sauce and half of the cheese. Repeat layers.
- Bake until cheese is melted and casserole is bubbly -- 20-30 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream, salsa and chopped jalapenos, if desired.