We enjoyed this simple dish, goes great with salsa and sour cream with a tossed salad Recipe source: Prevention magazine (March 2011)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray baking sheet with Pam.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat and add onion, garlic and green pepper and cook stirring until softened (5 minutes). Stir in cumin and cook another minute.
- Stir in tomatoes, water and chilies and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer, stirring occasionally until thickened (15 minutes). (I also thought it would be great to add 1 can of chopped black olives).
- Brush 1 side of each tortilla with oil and cut into 1 inch strips -- place on baking sheet and bake until crisp (10 minutes). Set aside.
- Reduce oven temp to 350-degrees F.
- Layer half of the tortilla strips in baking dish and top with half of the sauce and half of the cheese. Repeat layers.
- Bake until cheese is melted and casserole is bubbly -- 20-30 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream, salsa and chopped jalapenos, if desired.
Wonderful variation on lasagna! We loved the flavors - the tomato sauce was just lovely, and it produced a creamy, delicious dish with plenty of sauce. I dolloped with a bit of sour cream and chopped cilantro, but it has plenty of flavor on its own! Thanks for sharing! Veggie Swap 42
Now this is my kind of dish! I loved, loved, loved, everything about this! The only change was I used the grill (I was grilling other stuff) for cooking the veggies, and getting the tortillas crisp. I oiled the 1 inch strips (tortillas) and put on side of grill that didn't have direct heat, and let em' crisp up for about 5-6 minutes. I continued on with the recipe as posted. Creamy, lovely, good! I used some fresh jalapeno's AND green peps! This is a true find of a recipe, I LOVE it! Thanks, Elle! Made for Veggie Recipe Swap!
Although I'm not usually too keen on corn tortillas, I did follow your recipe & even included a small can of ripe olives, & we had a great tasting lunch! I did opt out of the sour cream, but did serve a mild salsa on the side! Will be happy to do this one up again! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed as a THANK YOU for playing in Please Review My Recipe during the current tour]