Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
MIL's savory soup includes hamburger, sausage, wine, carrots, zucchini, tomatoes and olives along with the usual ingredients. Requires 2 hours cooking time. A family favorite.
- 1⁄4 lb lean ground beef
- 2 Italian sausages, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 5 cups beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup red wine or 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 2 cups fresh tomatoes, peeled and chopped or 2 cups chopped canned tomatoes
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced zucchini
- 2 cups meat-filled tortellini or 2 cups cheese tortellini
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 (6 ounce) cansmall pitted olives, undrained
- Brown hamburger and sausage in skillet; drain; in empty skillet, heat oil and saute onion and garlic until transparent.
- Add back meat, broth, water, wine, tomatoes, carrots, basil, oregano and tomato sauce; bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 1 hour.
- Stir in zucchini, tortellini, parsley and olives with juice; simmer covered for 1 hour.
Superb! Delicious and easy to make -- perfect for the middle of the week and a change from the usual pasta dishes. Thanks Sugarpea for sharing your mil's soup -- this will also become one of my family's favorites.