- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 8 ounces meat-filled tortellini or 8 ounces cheese-filled tortellini
- 1 cup black beans, cooked, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan heat oil over medium heat cook carrots, onion, garlic, basil and bay leaf. Stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and tomatoes, breaking tomatoes with back of spoon. Bring to a boil.
- Add tortellini return to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium heat cook stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in black beans and season with pepper.
- Discard bay leaf. Ladle into bowl and sprinkle with cheese.