Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Combination of basil, bay leaf, tortellini and black beans. My daughters favorite soup!
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 8 ounces meat-filled tortellini or 8 ounces cheese-filled tortellini
- 1 cup black beans, cooked, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan heat oil over medium heat cook carrots, onion, garlic, basil and bay leaf. Stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and tomatoes, breaking tomatoes with back of spoon. Bring to a boil.
- Add tortellini return to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium heat cook stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in black beans and season with pepper.
- Discard bay leaf. Ladle into bowl and sprinkle with cheese.
This soup was excellent! My whole family really enjoyed it and I will definitely make it again. The only thing I added was some chopped celery.
Very good. I used diced tomatoes with onions and basil and it came out quite nice.
This soup was tasty but a little tomatoee for me. I think I would use less tomatoes and more broth next time, as well as adding a pinch of red pepper flakes for some spice. I did love the fact that it was so quick and easy to put together at the end of a long day and wanting some home cooked meal.