Prep 20 mins
Cook 17 mins
a recipe given to me by a friend that won 1st place at a baking contest.
- 1 cup soft shortening
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups self rising flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup raisins
- 3 cups oatmeal
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- beat together first 5 ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Blend the flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg, in the mixture.
- Stir raisens,oatmeal, coconuts and walnuts, into the mixture, the mixture will be very stiff.
- Roll into 1 inch balls and place on greased cookie sheets.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
- Cool about 2-3 minutes before removing from baking pan.
- ENJOY ! ! !
Made these to have for a monthly group I host & they were a big hit! With the exception of using a bit more than 1 1/2 cups of raisins, I did follow the recipe, though another time, closer to mid-December, I'd like to substitute (as did another reviewer) dried cranberries for the raisins! Thanks for sharing this great recipe! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
Very good granola bar like cookie. I used 1/2 cup coconut oil and 1/2 cup margarine in place of the shortening. I also used pecans instead of walnuts and added in some dried cranberries. I love the cinnamon/nutmeg flavor. Made for the Holiday tag game.
Really great cookies and very easy to convert to gluten free. I added 2 T of ground flax seed (something I almost always do to help with the lack of gluten) and subbed chocolate chips for the raisins (they're not my favorite in cookies). I also refrigerated the dough for about an hour before I baked them. Made for the winner of 1~2~3 Hits It's Not Easy Being Green ~ March 2010.