Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Another great breakfast recipe from Top Chef.
- 12 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup grated monterey jack cheese
- 10 cremini mushrooms, cut into thirds
- 1 leek (white and light green part, sliced, dark green part cut into strips for tying up bundle)
- 1⁄3 cup fresh corn kernels
- 6 orange tomatoes, sliced into 4 slices each
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, more if needed
- 1⁄8 cup fresh basil leaf, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 slices black forest ham
- salt and pepper, for seasoning
- 3 tablespoons chopped chives, for garnish
- 24 slices of rustic toast
- In a small bowl, combine basil, olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Stir to combine.
- Set aside.
- In a medium skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat.
- Add sliced leeks, mushrooms and corn.
- Cook until tender.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer mixture from skillet to a medium bowl.
- Cover to keep warm.
- Cook strips of leek until just soft enough to bend.
- Set aside.
- Season tomato slices with salt and pepper.
- Add to skillet, adding more butter if needed.
- Cook over medium heat, turning once, until tomatoes just begin to soften.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Break eggs into a large bowl.
- Whisk vigorously until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper and stir well to combine.
- In a large skillet, melt 3 tablespoons butter over medium low heat.
- Add eggs to skillet and cook to desired firmness, stirring frequently.
- Sprinkle cheese over eggs and stir to combine.
- To serve: Lay slices of ham on clean work surface in a single layer.
- Divide scrambled egg mixture between the slices.
- Spoon mushroom mixture over eggs.
- Drizzle with basil oil and sprinkle with chives.
- Roll each slice of ham around the filling and tie with leek strips.
- Arrange 2 slices of rustic toast on each plate.
- Top with tomatoes then egg bundle.
- Serve immediately.