Prep 35 mins
Cook 15 mins
Posted by request.
- 4 (1/2 lb) slices pork sirloin roast (about 1 inch thick)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1 cup flour
- peanut oil or canola oil (for deep frying)
- 1 lemon (optional)
- hot yellow mustard
Tonkatsu sauce or subsititute
- steak sauce, mixed with ketchup to sweeten
- lemon juice, to add a touch of sourness (optional)
- 8 slices cabbage or 8 slices lettuce leaves, soaked in cold water and well-drained
- Tenderize the meat and flatten to about ½-inch thickness.
- Season the pork with salt and pepper.
- Coat the meat with flour and shake off the excess.
- Dip the meat into the egg, then the breadcrumbs on a platter.
- Chill the meat in the freezer for 20 minutes or in the refrigerator for 2 hours- this chilling process gives the tonkatsu a crispy crust.
- In oil heated to 350°F, deep fry the meat until each side is light to medium golden brown.
- Drain the oil well and serve with the garnish.
- Slices of tomato will add some color.
- To tonkatsu-fry seafood or other types of meat, follow the same directions.
- In Japan a bowl of miso soup is usually served with this dish.