Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Referring to Thai cuisine, people think of the spicy, hot. And one of the most typical dishes are Tom Yam. The spicy Thai dishes created primarily by the peppers and garlic. However, in Thai, spicy blend also subtly with other flavors such as salty and sour. The salty bitter sweet harmony of Thai food is increasingly being enjoyed. Tom Yam - Thai sour soup is one dish that is well known and popular. Tom Yam is considered the signature dish of Thai food by its taste. Sour - bitter - salt are blended in this dish, but most striking was the heat. Main spicy flavor that has made special Tom Yam. Generally, Tom Yam cooked by seafood such as shrimp, squid ... it is natural salty and sweet. Besides, look at Tom Yam bowl, you will be startled by a large variety of spices such as chili pepper, galangal, lemongrass ...
- 2 liters fish stock, 1% pt
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups tom yam paste
- 2 stalks lemongrass, sliced into rings
- 8 slices fresh galangal root
- 8 kaffir lime leaves, torn into three pieces each leaf (Thai lime leaves taste like grapefruit leaves of Vietnam)
- 3 tablespoons chili paste, roasted (or dried chilli powder)
- 8 hot chili peppers, to taste
- 16 button mushrooms, cut in half (straw or abalone mushrooms are fine)
- 16 king prawns (raws)
- 8 large squid, cut its horizontally body, into rings, size approximately 1or 2 inch thick
- 8 pieces fish fillets (Red snapper, mackerel, salmon or snakehead fish, etc..., option)
- 3 lbs clams (or mussels)
- 8 tablespoons lime juice, fresh
- 9 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons coriander, chopped (special coriander, called ''Rau ram'' in Vietnamese)
- 2 tablespoons spring onions, finely sliced
- 5 tomatoes, the average size, 2 tomatoes cut into six equal pieces. 3 tomatoes cut into diced
- 2 yellow onions, sliced
- 16 coriander leaves, just to garnish
- 2 cups coconut milk (if you like)
- - Clams (mussels): soak them in a bowl of water as soon as you've brought home from the shops, washed, and then pour into the pot, poured the water, then boil, when you see a clam shell opening, please take the pot off the stove. Pour the clam broth in a large bowl, to sediment (sand), and then take the meat inside the shells of clams on a small plate, set aside.
- - Boil the water first and then pour shrimp, squid, fish meat -- into the pot about 3 minutes, then remove it to the basket, drained, mixed with a little seasoning salt.
- - Place the saucepan on the stove, heat oil, add yellow onions, stir until the wonderful odor emitted, and turn yellow golden. Then add Roasted chilli paste, galangal, lemon grass and stir well to get up the scent.
- Add the diced tomatoes, and continue to stir untill it soft, puor the Tom Yum Paste into it. stir for about 3 minutes.
- Draw off the water (make sure no sand) of clam broth, pour into the pot and boil about 3 minutes to get up the scent.
- - Next, increase the heat and bring to the boil, add prawn, squid and fish into the saucepan and heat to boiling for 2 minutes, when shrimp and squid are just cooked, add the clams, mushrooms, the remaining tomatoes, fresh peppers to the pot and stir together briefly.